Wednesday, January 30, 2008

For ever I will maintain my love for my servant.

2 Samuel 7:4-17
Psalm 89: 4-5, 27-30
Mark 4:1-20

The promises made to David in 2 Samuel 7:4-17 were tremendous! But my favorite because it comforts me is 2 Samuel 7:14. "I will be a father to him and he shall be a son to me." In Mark 4:1-20 Jesus says to his followers, "The mystery of the Kingdom of God has been granted to you." The word only requires rich soil. It must be accepted, it must take root, tended with the sacraments, daily Mass, the rosary, the chaplet of mercy; and then it will bear fruit thirty, and sixty and a hundredfold.

We know that tribulation and persecution does come and trample the garden of our hearts with weeds and rocks and hungry animals. This is when with confidence that we again, get on our knees to guard the precious Word, renewing the covenant as in Psalm 89 "Forever I will maintain my love for him; my covenant with him stands firm." Recalling this promise, we like David can cry out: "You are my father, my God, the Rock that bring me victory!"

I awoke last night a three in the morning. This is not a rare occurrence. Usually I'm asked to do something. Last night I was asked to write this reflection. God the Father is asking for each heart to be made into a home for Him. Every house, like a field requires the owner to maintain the property so that it doesn't fall into disrepair. When my children were small, we had a dog and between the girls, the dog and lack of money to fix the house our home looked worn out. Missy, our dog had pulled up the carpet when she was teething, and then later continued to chew on our flooring to pay us back for leaving her behind. The girls had stuck stickers on walls, the furniture; and for me it was great fun to see where the next sticker would pop up. Crayons and pencils were utilized for murals on our walls. Although, the house would never be photographed for the cover of House Beautiful Magazine, it was a home. The residents were family in every good sense of the word. Values and virtues were taught and practiced, and most of all, we loved one another.

One day, my sister came to visit. She looked around and made an odd comment. "Don't you have any pride in ownership?" Looking around, it appeared that I didn't. On the surface it looked pretty bad. But the foundation and roof were great. It needed cosmetic work. She didn't notice the love, I thought to myself. She looked at the house, but didn't see the home.

Today, we are more conscious of appearances than ever before. Houses are getting bigger and grander. We spend more time, effort and money on decorating them, sparing no expense to live in mansions that reflect what we can afford. We have extended appearances to our face and bodies, spending to preserve our youthful looks. Injecting our faces with chemicals to hide laugh lines and wrinkles while our hearts grow colder and darker.

God the Father wants a home in each heart. He is not concerned with appearances. He wants a home. He will notice the love. He won't notice the shortcomings, even the sin he will correct as a father corrects, and He will never withdraw His favor from us. Open your hearts with great confidence. Open your hearts now!

The Mystery of the Kingdom of God has been granted to you. But to those outside everything comes in parables, so that they may look and see but not perceive, and hear and listen but not understand, in order that they may not be converted and be forgiven. (Mark 4:12) and (Isaiah 6:9-10.

Faith will keep the Word safe in our hearts, so that we may look and see and perceive the greatness of our LORD; we will hear and listen and be quick to obey; we will be converted and forgiven, bearing fruit to the glory of our beloved God.

No comments:




I want my God, to love you face to face.